Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Restoration Hardware, an awful waste?

If you have ever purchased anything from Restoration Hardware and not opted out of their mailer, then you recently came home to quite the surprise! A 17 pound, 3,300 page mailer in the form of 9 separate "source books."

Is this the ultimate expression of waste? I mean how many people don't even look at the magazines that come in once a month from RH and its competitors like Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Pier 1 Imports and the like?

According to CEO and chief strategist, Gary Friedman, these source books will actually cut down 70% of what RH usually uses on paper in its monthly mailers. Since this is a once a year mailing blitz with beautiful books meant to be kept sitting on the coffee table, was it worth it?

Pundits and social media'ers aplenty are aroar at receiving the books or even the notion of sending them. Environmentalists have their knickers in a twist. The Sierra Club is probably having a coronary.

Personally I find it hard to accept in my mind that this is cutting back. It is an enormous waste of paper for the majority of people who will inevitably throw it in the trash without ever even looking at it. I will be watching to see how much other RH paraphernalia arrives in the coming months. As soon as I see even one more magazine, I am revisiting this post to blast them. If nothing comes, I will have to revisit and sure up my thoughts.

For now, I thought Jim Cramer from CNBC making Friedman bicep curl the mailers was a delightfully hilarious touch (fast forward to 0:56 to see him start).
CEO Bicep Curls his own Mailer

Cheers

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment